Friday 3 October 2014

Morning Mumble: its been manic...so apologies for the brevity! Perhaps a relief to some...

Whilst looking over the Morrison's (MRW) announcement I have come to the conclusion that some analysts are completely out of touch with reality. Do their 'chauffeurs' pick their shopping up from Waitrose or are they so far out of touch they still think Ocado is Waitrose? One will save the kicking of Ocado for another day, but those with common-sense will know full well why the stock is an avoid for the longs and a short for those so inclined. We shall cover it with a lovely chap in the wharf area of London summarising my views with, when Ocado hits £6 I hope you're toast, his initials are similar to JP :-). With more chance of getting my Sock IPO off the ground with a forward estimate of £90 quid a share by 2232, I suspect its why he's not so vocal now! Emotions and investing are often conflicted...other peoples views only cause conflict with a lack of confidence and inability to learn. 

I was going to post an FT link to MRW, I prefer that I'm bias but, unless I'm mistaken, Bberg were off the mark first! So, Morrison to Match Aldi, Lidl as Grocery Price War Escalates. Now we'll ignore the fact Lidl/Aldi stock top end 3K lines, and bottom end 2400 lines pending on season, and Morrison's stock 25,000 (no typo there yet folks), so what does it mean...Firstly MRW have fired the first shop in compelling shoppers to rethink their habits but more importantly, from a class perspective, would one rather shop in MRW or Aldi/Lidl. 

Whatever your view as a reader, take my word for it, having done significant research on the matter, shoppers take Waitrose bags along, M&S and even Asda bags. Assuming one isn't spotted in the Lidl/Aldi car park I suspect they unload their car, parade around their driveway as though status is more important than whether they paid £2 or £1 for their milk. Anyway, ignoring that and my belief MRW would be bought out, I hate to say it but Leggie's Tesco (TSCO) call, albeit badly timed (unfortunately) in terms of price may actually just be the winner out of the 4 in the short-term. So with more bad news to come for Tesco there may just yet be a buying opportunity. Currently I'm working through my supermarket research in more depth so will hope to give wider views. 

It would appear there's a significant unwinding of positions in Platinum & Palladium currently, it's lost all its historic trade ratios to gold/silver and the contra play of palladium. Looking at the available of physically, one wonders if $1178/oz. is coming quicker than people think. One page I use on my mobile (when I have another one) Johnson Matthey (short term chart). The depreciation of platinum has many justifications but with the the peek of the car production likely to reduce demand and a swelling of supply, one could be excused for replacing the words, Platinum with Iron Ore.

Now I'm a sceptical chap, why would Stephen Blundell, Chief Financial Officer of the Company of

eServGlobal sell his stock? Now we all sell for various reasons, but lets look at this specifically...

eServGlobal (AIM:ESG & ASX:ESV), the provider of end-to-end mobile financial services to emerging markets, notes the recent move in its share price, which followed the announcement by eServGlobal's CFO, Mr Stephen Blundell, that he had sold shares in the Company. The Company wishes to announce that it continues to trade in line with the Board's expectations. Mr Blundell sold his shares this week for personal reasons. Mr Blundell retains 631,945 options over ordinary shares in the company, representing 0.25% of the Company's issued share capital.

So it would appear that Mr Blundell has no capital risks over the 631,945 options. This is a risk, when the CFO sells stock and has no capital exposure, follow his lead as Investec have done. Its perplexing why companies announce a reasoning for the sale. My final thought goes to Mr Blundell whom earns A$350,540 (eServglobal Annual Report Link (Page 21 of the doc) (including options) so things are clearly tight.

For those watching the carnage on ASX (Aussie Exchange) with Iron Ore, my Atlas Iron (AGO) short is performing exceptionally well. A message left shortly after my post closing on Fortescue Metals Group (ASX: FMG) was too early but there are a number of variables, price per point/CFD's short and wanting to bank significant profit rather than paper profit. The AGO has more than covered anything I missed out on but likewise I derisked. 

Monitise (MONI) hit my first target price today, so I have elected to close the larger of shorts and derisk a couple on the basis knife catchers may create some uptick and what I miss out on from 70 pence is not really of concern! 

To finish on an astonishing result, contrary to my views, Dunelm Group (Read as Dunelm Mill)(DNLM) came in a blinder with their Interim Management Statement. I will be coming back to DNLM in due course as its now meeting the criteria to research thoroughly for a short. 

For those cheering at losses of shorters, today's United Utilities Response to Draft Determination cost me 15 points having been short from 901/903/899 I have to acknowledge there are unknown variables (for me) that the market price in that I'm not aware of (read as playing the trend). So for the first time in a long while, I am on the side lines with UU. My target price of 700 is under review, although I'm loathed to change it. The stock, like most utilities, is too politically sensitive. 

I nearly became a buyer again of Range Resources, so one can look from the sidelines as the SP escalates. 

Atb Fraser (Anyone seen the price of Oil!)

For those phoning, it is wise to email, I have plumbed my VOIP in so normal service is resuming.

5 comments:

  1. Fraser have you any idea of your accuracy including FT Markets Live. Just to recap all my long holdings obliterated but thanks to you a massive saving for me. I don't agree with shorting but you are converting me. A lurking reader watching in awe at your success rate before the event not after. Many thanks you are changing an entire generations investment style. A Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADVFN Reader, thank you. This blog is for my benefit as much as others. I also like to be challenged and the likes of Leggie and others views are valued. What will not be tolerated is swearing or abuse the rest is open to discussion and debate. I'm not a pro, I'm a PI that is reliant on the markets for a significant proportion of my income. So research and honest research is essential.

      On a secondary note, I will not do a tips sheet nor will I start doing buy sell recommendations. FTML is worth its wait in gold!

      Cheers Fraser

      Delete
  2. Weight* haha...Ian (shove it with proof reading).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might the eServGlobal guy be getting divorced? Often shares have to be sold to effect a division of assets on divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I'm not sure if you know more on the situation, but surely if one was aligned to the business you'd have elected for other types of settlement rather than the stock in the company you have a vested interest in its success.

      Directors should beware of selling stock, especially with such a material decline previously. Also, if I'm correct, divorce sales are exempt from the close period sales if the other party is requiring the monies. (Willing to be correct there).

      So as such, until the director wishes to disclose "his reasoning" above personal, my stance stays the same...consider it a warning if you're a holder.

      Atb Fraser

      Delete